Sunday 16 May 2010

FA Cup Final 2010

The FA Cup is the greatest club football competition on Earth!


That's a fact-a-mundo.


Dad's first cup final that he can remember was in 1975, when Fulham were playing West Ham. As I remember it, my Mum and Dad would go out for the day and I'd spend the morning and afternoon glued to the telly, with Grandad for company. Now, Grandad was the chap who inroduced me to betting, as we'd watch the ITV Seven on telly in his flat in York while Mum and Dad were doing their own thing. After the racing we'd watch the wrestling, proper wrestling, with Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki, Big Daddy ["Easy! Easy!]


And in May 1975, Sam's Nana and Grandad went shopping in Boston, and I was with them. I was already a Subbuteo fan, and already had a claret and blue team (they were Burnley, West Ham, and some others). I wanted to buy a Fulham team so that I could recreate the FA Cup Final for myself, but my Mum tried to dissuade me, as "it's got no colour....just black and white". I insisted though, and spent...I think....75p to buy Fulham - white shirts, black shorts, black socks....could also be used as West Germany and Port Vale.


I don't remember the game, but I do remember seeing the game....does that make sense? Tommy Taylor scored both West Ham goals in a 2-0 win.


I do remember the build-up on telly. It started well before noon. There were player interviews, fans' Mastermind competitions, cameras at the team hotels, cameras on the team buses, shots on the fans walking up Wembley Way. It was MAGIC!


So, Fulham and West Ham was in 1975. One month from my seventh birthday. Yesterday Portsmouth and Chelsea played one month from Sam's seventh birthday. Another huge milestone.


I thought it might be a good idea to implant the FA Cup Final into Sam's pysche. So we went shopping for pizza and ice cream on Friday, and on Saturday we dined heartily during the match. In future years we'll share a pint, but for now Sam scoffed Hawaiian pizza, Dad pepperoni, and we delighted in Flake ice cream.


The game should have been a walkover. Chelsea had won the league the week before, and Portsmouth were relegated and in administration. Chelsea hit the woodwork five times in the first half, but Portsmouth also missed an open goal. In the second half Pompey won, and missed, a penalty, Didier Drogba scored a delicious free kick. Right at the end Frank Lampard missed a penalty, but Chelsea won the game 1-0.


Sam didn't sit and watch the whole game, but I doubt that I did back in 1975. But we had an AWESOME father and son afternoon.


I hope Sam remembers his first FA Cup Final as warmly as I do mine. We had a good day.

No comments: