Tuesday 29 June 2010

Freedom Of King's Lynn Parade


Last week RAF Marham exercised their right to march through the streets of King's Lynn with drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed. When I was in the RAF I always found parades to be an utter pain in the neck, but now I'm a "veteran" I love them. So does Sam.

Sam was in attendance with his school friends, and I spotted him as soon as I took up my position on the east side of the Tuesday Market Place. He stood to attention as the standards were marched onto the square (he's the one in the red shirt in the above photo).


As well as reviewing the RAF party, the Armed Forces Week flag was raised - it's refreshing that the country now seems to support the forces, as opposed to the ambivalence and even resentment I experienced for many years.



The Cranwell Band provided a superb soundtrack for the parade - the same band who performed at my own Passing Out parade at RAF Swinderby on 23 July 1985!

No comments: